Knights of Columbus

Monterey Council 1465

About Us

 

 

Contact Information

Worthy Grand Knight:

 

Mike McNamara

 

 

E-Mail

     

Worthy Deputy Grand Knight:

 

Mike Sutton

   

E-Mail

     

Membership Director & Webmaster:

 

Shane Edgar

E-Mail

 

 

Historical Information

 

Fr. Michael McGivney

The Knights of Columbus, the world's largest Catholic fraternal organization was formed in 1882 by Father Michael J. McGivney. Father McGivney wanted an organization to help Catholic men remain steadfast in their faith through mutual encouragement. He also wanted an organization to promote closer ties of fraternity among Catholic men and to set up an elementary system of insurance so that the widows and children of members who died would not find themselves in dire financial straits. He succeeded. The Knights of Columbus has one of the strongest and most advantageous insurance programs in the world. To learn more about the Venerable Michael J. McGivney, founder of the Knights of Columbus, click here.

 

Fr. Raymond Mestres

On February 6, 1910, Monterey Council 1465 was chartered with fifty-five members. Father Mestres of the San Carlos Parish handpicked the officers and presented the list of names to the council. Stephen Field moved that it be accepted by acclamation. Alexander M. Aggeler was the first Grand Knight and the other officers were Molachi W. McMenamin, Edward A. Elsen, William Otto, Edmund S. Correia, Benjamin F. Wright, Earnest J. Struntz, Leo. Charles Weber, Abel A. Watson, Emery A. LaVallee, Owen Smith and John A. Sparolini. The councils of Watsonville and San Luis Obispo were instrumental in the forming and fostering of the Monterey Council. This newly formed council would later help foster the councils of Charles T. Kerfs in Pacific Grove (#5210), Billie Burke in Carmel (now called the "Carmel Mission" Council) (#4593), St. Francis Xavier in Seaside (#5261), Sacred Heart in Ft. Ord (#9486) and St. Jude in Marina (#7155).

 

Several members have been local mayors: Paul J. Dougherty, Dr. Walter Teaby, Emmet McMenamin and Shedo "Buck" Russo. Twenty members were called to services in World War I and members have served in World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq as well. Many have held positions in the assembly, district, chapter and state levels.

 

1910 Council Program

(Large view)

In its one hundred years this council has been the host of four state conventions: 1914, 1931, 1961 and 1985. The chairman of the1985 state convention was past Grand Knight Frank Bruno who presently resides in Monterey.

 

The Monterey Council started a credit union in 1956. It is presently known as the Monterey Columbian Federal Credit Union and is located on Casanova in Monterey.

 

Since 1988 the council has sponsored a "Tootsie Roll" drive that raises funds for the Gateway Center of Pacific Grove and the Special Olympics of the Monterey Peninsula. The Grand Knight of the council is the co-chairman of the drive each year and more than $55,000.00 has been raised to date.

 

For more than fifty years the council has staffed a food booth at the Monterey County Fair to raise funds for the many projects of the council. The booth's chairman organizes the members and schedules the many volunteers who donate their time to make a successful event. Over the years the members of the council have given hundreds of hours each year to this event. Our menu consists of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, fries, soda, coffee, bottled water, cocoa, chicken breast sandwiches, great chili and excellent service from dedicated members to our customers.

 

Monterey Council 1465, State Convention 1985 Committee Chairmen

Left to right (sitting): Jerry Koenig, Jess Franco, Frank O'Connell, Frank Bruno, John Perry, Joe Lucero, John Morgan.

Left to right (standing): Frank Martin, Lou Buonocore, Verne Hebbe, Joe Ansel, Jacob Shammas, Ron Paquinelli, Jim Freeman

and George Sup.

The Knights of Columbus Council 1465 has also responded to many parish needs through the council's one hundred years, from sponsoring altar-boy picnics to paying for the church sound system, conservation effort and school repairs. Members serve as ushers at each Mass and belong to several ministries within the Monterey Diocese including the Eucharistic and Docent Ministries.

 

Over the years, the council has contributed funds and man hours to the parishes of San Carlos Cathedral in Monterey, the building and support of St. Angelas in Pacific Grove and St. Judes in Marina, the restoration of the Carmel Basilica and many other local Catholic institutions.

 

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas the council donates canned goods to the needy. This is a success because the membership brings in canned food items and the council raises money through the collection of aluminum cans. This project has been in existence for over twenty years.

 

Past Grand Knight Chris Will has organized the Knights of Columbus Basketball Free Throw contest for many years. Students from San Carlos School test their skills and the winners (girls and boys divisions) go onto the next level of competition.

 

In 2006 the council, with the dedication and effort of the Sal Allioti family, organized a Christmas dinner/dance that resulted in a donation of $8,000.00 to the San Carlos Cathedral restoration project.

 

The Monterey Council supports and is affiliated with the Santa Rosalia Assembly of the 4th Degree (#0077), the Junipero Serra Chapter, the Central California District (#44), the California State Council and the Supreme Council.

Back to Top